If you never used a pressure cooker before, then you did not find out how it is to cook fast. The pressure cooker may sound like a fancy cooking tool, but it is a rather old invention. This type of cooking pots appeared in France in the 1600s, the creator being Denis Papin. His pressure cooker prototype can be admired even today at the Musée des Arts et Métiers, in Paris. Actually, the pressure cooker is a pot, with a sealed cap and a pressure valve, which uses steam pressure to cook food faster. Of course, the inventor did not manage to create the perfect pressure pot right from the beginning, needing a bit of research to make it safe to use. As the steam pressure gets built in the pot, it can cause a serious explosion of the pot.
The functioning principle of the pressure pot is quite simple. The pot is placed on the stove, having the food and right amount of water in it. Then, the lid is sealed on, due to its rubber ring, which won’t allow air to escape. The pot will also have a valve, letting out the extra pressure, to avoid any unwanted accidents. Some modern pots will also have a pressure indicator, letting us know how much we have to cook a particular food. The sealed pot will increase the amount of hot steams inside, also increasing the cooking temperature, shortening the cooking time. A standard pot will not exceed the water’s boiling point, and that is 212*F. In a steaming pot, the temperature can rise to 250*F.
But the cooking process is not done due to boiling, but by forcing steam pressure onto the food. When hot, steams rise, reaching the top of the pot. The lid will not allow them to escape, and they will be forced to descent by other steams that wish to go up, creating a pressure circuit. Thus, the raising steams forced to descend, are putting their action on the food and cooking it. You might wonder how the high pressure inside the cooker does not destroy the food. The answer is that steam pressure always applies the same force on the entire surface of the food. But leaving the food too much in the pot will make it overcooked, which will give it the mushy look.
If you are wondering what can you cook in a pressure cooker, the answer is anything. There are no limitations when it comes to cooking in a pressure cooker. You just need to be careful with the cooking time and the required amount of water. Rice and veggies are cooked in minutes. Meat, especially red one, is done very nice and tender, in about half an hour, maybe 45 minutes. Even hard beans can be cooked in the pressure cooker extremely fast, without presoaking them in water overnight. The cooker is an affordable kitchen appliance and used very little resources since the cooking process lasts so little. Pressure cookers for stove use are cheaper. Today’s technology brought the best pressure cooker to market like these. It works on the same principle but uses another method to heat the water inside.
So the pressure cooker is a great asset in any kitchen. You cook fast, whatever type of food you wish, and all the flavors of the ingredients will remain inside the pot, making the dish a real delight. It is an excellent tool to help you spend less time in the kitchen, and the success of this pot can be seen in the fact that people use it since the 1600s.
Just like any other plants, grass has its own seeds. Grass seeds are planted in a piece of bare land such as lawn, garden, pasture and reclamation area in order to make it naturally beautiful. In addition, it gives some benefits both to humans and the environment.
However, in order to make any piece of land a real beauty, one should determine the kind of grass that can grow within a particular area. Depending on your location, climate and yard condition, you can find a grass seed that is easy grow and maintain for less efforts. Nowadays, it is quite easy to find grass seeds that are perfect either for warm or cold season. Our new favorite brand is Jonathan Green grass seed.
Benefits of Growing Grass
Just like fruit bearing trees and flowering plants, grass has several advantages to humans. There are times when we tend to ignore the grass because of the thinking that it’s not much of help to us. Many people believe that grasses are only clutter and should be removed from the garden or lawn. Little did they know that it performs some roles that can benefit people.
- Beautification – A bare piece of land only becomes attractive when decorated with trees, flowers and grasses. With the help of grass seeds, any idle land can be turned into a nice garden or lawn in just a short time. Combined with proper trimming, preparation and after care, any kind of grass can give a natural beauty.
- Soil Erosion – Just like trees, grasses also help the environment by controlling excessive water from the ground. Grasses have roots and this is the reason why they can help in holding up the soil to prevent it from eroding and from damaging some plants.
Technological Advances for Grass Seeds
So that grass seeds can provide more benefits to people and the environment, there are a few innovations and advancements developed that are now made available.
- Drought resistant – Water may not be present in all households. In some African countries, drought is a common scenario, but this should not limit people from using grass for various purposes – commercial or for the beautification. Given this, there are several types, which can live with less water or even midst drought and these are the Bermuda grass, Buffalo grass, Zoysia and Fescues.
- Fast growing – The process of landscaping a piece of land takes a while. To ease up the burden, use grass seeds that can grow easily. In as fast as 14 days, you can already see a garden with luscious greens and this is because of technology.
- Sturdy breeding – Just like what botanists do with flowers and plants, grasses can also be cultivated. Different kinds of grasses are tested and put together in order to come up with a good breed that is sturdy and multiplies easily. Aside from having a unique grass seed quality, breeding is also done for commercial purposes. In fact, the availability of different grass species is a great advantage for businessmen.
Disease-resistant – Aside from low maintenance, it is also important that grass type chosen is disease-resistant. When the grass can’t be easily attacked by insects and pests, it is considered as one of a kind. In addition to its attractive appearance, the grass should also be free from insects and various diseases that can kill it after sometime.